can some one help me - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 06:24 PM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
revharde30 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
can some one help me

my 735il 92 model will not charge i put a new alternator and batery and still wont charge please help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 10:09 PM
Sodium Chloride

saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to saltshaker185 Send a message via MSN to saltshaker185
what do you mean it wont charge? as in the car wont start? it doesnt have enough power to start? or the battery just dead after it runs out of juice?
#3 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 01:04 AM
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
the alternator is not charging the battery.... still looking into the regulator....

1991 Ford Taurs SHO 5 Speed White on Tan
1996 Chevy Lumina LTZ Rep 3.4L
1992 318i Coupe parts car
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
#4 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 05:11 AM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
yeah i put a meter on back of the alternator no charge coming out
#5 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 05:41 AM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
Quote:
Originally Posted by revharde30
yeah i put a meter on back of the alternator no charge coming out
You replaced the alternator, the alternator is still spinning with the belts, you tested the alternator terminals during vehicle operation, and no voltage? Sounds like you replaced a bad alternator with a bad alternator.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 02:51 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
i got the alternator from autozone when i took the first one off and took it and got it tested they said it was good but i went ahead and bought it anyways are they somthing in the car that makes it charge like a relay
#7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 04:05 PM

Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
perhaps a bad input to the alternator, maybe a bad D+ connection or a bad ground.

DT

#8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 06:59 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
how would i check to c if thats bad
#9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 10:33 AM

Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
you need to use a multimeter at the back of the alternator with everything connected check voltages at the large post with red wire (B+) as well as the small post (D+) You should have over 12v at each terminal. Change the meter setting to ohms and check betwen the case of the alternator and 1 of the bolts on the shocktower. You should have less than 1 ohm. Report back with results.

DT

#10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 04:20 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
its got 11.21 but the belt is kinda loose would that be the problem and its got 1 ohm
#11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 10:49 AM

11.21 at BOTH the thicker wire (B+) and the thinner wire (D+) at the back of the alternator?
is this measurement taken with engine running or not running?
does the battery light in the dash illuminate?

DT

#12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 03:24 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
11.66 on big abd 10.65 onlittle as engines running tightened u[ the belt it didnt help and no the batery light is not on so any ideas yet
#13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 08:21 PM

sounds like you have everything you need for the alternator to work... Id try another alternator. Also charge the battery ..
Regards,

DT

#14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 10:02 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
but it is a brand new alternator
#15 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 10:40 PM

your alternator needs three things in order to charge.
1) power at B+ which is the big positive wire coming from starter
2) power at the D+ wire also referred to as an exciter wire which is the smaller wire which goes through the instrument cluster and feeds the back of the alternator on the smaller eyelet
3) ground.

We checked all of those things so unless you made a mistake in your measurements then it sounds like a bad alternator. Of course I'm not standing in front of the car so all I can do is make suggestions. I dont know much about autozone alternators because I only use facotry parts for BMW but years ago I used to buy alternators from Kragen and had terrible luck.. one time i purchased 4 alternators before I got a good one.

DT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper