745 - THE WORST CAR EVER. I have one 2001 model. The next day I got it, I had to bring it back to service bacause Navigation didn't work, to start with. Then, it's been in service for more than 3 months total.
All kinds of problems, some are really annoying ones. For example, if you don't use one of the remotes for a while, next time you use it - it would reset all your radio presets, sits, US/Euro metrics. The Low Fuel indicator would not work, etc.
I know that the first series where poorly made (BMW fixed most the problems with software upgrades, but even without this - it's just a badly thought through car. And here is why:
- It's a nice ride, but why does it have to take 10 moves on Idrive to change a radio station?
- Or better yet, try finding something in the navigation by a keyword - there is no such feature.
- It takes 10 times longer to enter an address in the NAVI than it does on my other car - acura MDX.
- How about having 7 DVDs to cover US map that you have to purchase separately for $150? Acura has 1 DVD for the whole coutry with complete yellow page info on all businesses.
- Actually, the whole idea of an iDrive is stupid. They claim it's unique idea to save time and clicks. They say '... why should your dashboard look like and airplain? have one iDrive and do it all!' Well, I would prefer changing radio station with ONE push and switching to CD with ONE push, not 5.
- The service departments are arogant and ignorant. Here is a quote from a service adviser in San Francisco "Now that you've got a BMW, you have to be patient when it comes to service". You go figure.
My final problem at hand is a bad mold smell coming out of air conditioner. Not only it's unpleasant, it's also probably dangerous. BMW reply - it's caused by outside conditions and is not covered under warranty. I can't believe this. I never had anything on any other car. Bastards.
Bottom line: You'll end up paying a lot for a nice ride, but stupid design and functionality will drive you crazy.