Brake Light - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 01:16 PM
4th Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
WardJ is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to WardJ Send a message via MSN to WardJ Send a message via Yahoo to WardJ
(Thread Starter)
Brake Light

my dad's 740's OBC has been complaining to him about a brake bulb. open checking it out, my dad found that the bulbs are fine yet there are two bulbs completely missing (housing and all). one of the left side, one on the right. (if you think two bulbs per brake light). he was behind another 740 yesterday and noticed that only one light bulb comes on in that one too. any suggestions as to why it's complaining?

'85 325e
'Arrest Me Red'
mods to come:
Window Tint
New Badges - Check!
Muffler - Check! - Ansa free flow
New Radio
Sport Shocks - Bilstein
Keyless Entry + Alarm - BMW Security Systems
Power Flow Intake

THE founding member of "i don't hate on del"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 05:29 PM
5th Gear Member

325isBaby is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to 325isBaby
It could be an incorrect bulb...if you use bulbs that are not high quality it can throw the wrong impedance and set the light off...or if the bulb/socket is burnt the bulb may appear fine (in the filiments) but infact not have a good connection setting the OBC complaint

http://www.myspace.com/330xigirl
Come see me at MySpace
#3 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 10:55 AM
n00b

Ralph85735i is on a distinguished road
brake lights

I don't know about your model, but, generally speaking, the running lights are dual filament (one for running, one for brake). So, are you certain that the second bulb is not just another running light? If it's dual filament you'll see two contacts at the bottom of the socket.

Last edited by Ralph85735i; 01-25-2006 at 10:57 AM. Reason: incorrect model
#4 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 09:16 PM
5th Gear Member

325isBaby is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to 325isBaby
most 7series I have ever worked on are missing the 2 bulb and housings that you are speaking of...Euro uses these for rear fog lamps I believe, not used in US

http://www.myspace.com/330xigirl
Come see me at MySpace
#5 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 11:58 PM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
Get new bulbs and clean the contacts and see if that helps. If not, it's probably the brake light switch.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper