Bluetooth In '02 745i - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2005, 06:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
cuttsgroup is an unknown quantity at this point
How can I covert the cell phone system in my 02 745i to Bluetooth and still use all the bells & whistles I have now??

My dealership says it can't me done... and I don't quite believe that.

Thanks

PS I'm new to this forum and this whole forum thing, so please bear w/ me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2005, 09:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
The Hammer is on a distinguished road
Unhappy 2005 745 Bluetooth

I get the same response.

used: Not only that, I wanted to change my phone number programmed into the Motorola Timeport that came when I bought the cra new. Verizon told me that they can't now change the number because that phone is not GPS compatable and their system will not allow them to reprogram a new number.
The Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 08:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: 2005 330xi
Photos:
325isBaby is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to 325isBaby
Unfortunatly your dealership is correct in the fact that your 2002 745 can not be retrofitted for bluetooth....there is an entirely new TCU unit in the new 7's that allows for bluetooth...the biggest trouble getting the technology to work on the fiber-optic bus system. Hope you find this information helpful.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
paristide is on a distinguished road
I found out on Monday 03/20/06 from my dealership that BMW came out with a bluetooth module for the all the 745 I starting with the 02 model. It costs under $300 plus tax to have one installed. I have an appointment to have one installed in a week. I suggest making a call in to your nearest BMW Service Department and inquire about which phone equipment and carriers that are compatible with the upgrade.
paristide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 11:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car:
Photos:
Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
Paristide is correct. There is a new bluetooth upgrade called BTUM for vehicles which previously had no way of retrofitting bluetooth.
The BTUM is shaped like a Motorola v60 phone and slides right into the factory phone cradle. It has some limitations vs. the later models which come with a bluetooth enabled TCU but it is still a nice and fairly inexpensive way of getting bluetooth in your car.

The BTUM allows you to use the original features of the vehicles phone system but using an approved Bluetooth phone instead of the CPT9000 (V60) phone.

It allows for Multi function steering controls (if equipped) to send or end a call.

Display of the address book and dial stored #s (500 contacts per phone)

Telephone dialing via the onboard radio controls or I-Drive as equipped.

Voice recognition (SES) dialing and name tags (if equipped )

The limitations are that you can only pair up to 2 phones with the system and only 1 can be used at a time. Also the BTUM does not charge your handset or provide a link to an external antenna.

The part # for the BTUM is 84 11 0 410 145 and MSRP=$295.00

Approved phones are:

Motorola E815 Verizon

Motorola V3c Razor Verizon

Motorola V551 Cingular, Tmobile

Motorola V330 Cingular, Tmobile

Nokia 6230 Cingular

Sony Ericsson T637 Cingular

Sony Ericsson S710a Cingular

Dirty_Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 09:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Trevize will become famous soon enoughTrevize will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Trevize
Does this also work in a 2000 M5?

I'm calling local dealers too, but so far just playing voicemail tag with un-informed parts guys. Hard to get a straight answer.
Trevize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 08:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Photos:
It will NOT work in the 2000 M5 as the M5 does not have the fiber opctic bus system the 7 series does
Old 07-28-2006, 06:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
I found the www.bimmernav.com has what I need. I've ordered the parts. We'll see how the install goes.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Photos:
NAV has little to do with bluetooth, the bluetooth requires the addition of the ULF controler...but good luck with that
Old 07-31-2006, 08:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Got the bluetooth kit from Bimmernav. It works awsome. Simple to install. Very happy with bluetooth in the M5. =D
Old 07-31-2006, 08:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Photos:
It's good that you got it installed and it works! It's also great to hear that you found the install easy!
Old 08-04-2006, 02:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
UNIROK is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevize
Got the bluetooth kit from Bimmernav. It works awsome. Simple to install. Very happy with bluetooth in the M5. =D

These kits and that site are of NO help to those of us that have 2002 745i with the Timeport Phone. We are looking for an adaptor for that cable.
UNIROK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 12:18 PM   #13 (permalink)

Car:
Photos:
Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
UNIROK, I posted the easiest cheapest solution for you early e65 owners. Its up above with part # and is available through any BMW dealer. Are you looking for something different?

Dirty_Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 10:03 AM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
UNIROK is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty_Tool
UNIROK, I posted the easiest cheapest solution for you early e65 owners. Its up above with part # and is available through any BMW dealer. Are you looking for something different?

Thanks anyway. Early E65s came with Motorola timeports not V60s. Totally different connectors.
UNIROK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 10:34 PM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Z71ChevyTahoe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty_Tool View Post
I saw this thread was from '06, are there any new phones that are compatible with the BTUM device? Will any bluetooth phone work?

I'm actually buying an '03.

Thanks
Z71ChevyTahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper