BING...Brake Light - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2009, 11:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car: '93 740IL,
Photos:
BigT's93 is on a distinguished road
BING...Brake Light

I put a new brake light bulb in, now it's, Bing....Brake Light.
Before I think about a new sensor.... where exctly do I " sand paper teh connectors"? Some random bimmer driver suggested it.
I have taken bulb holder out and hit it and everywhere the holder might make contact w/ s-paper. Any suggestions?
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2009, 11:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 1990 BMW 735iL
Photos:
beamers4life is on a distinguished road
I have a 1990 735 il and had the same problem pull the brake light bulb and socket out(1/4 turn about) inspect the two contacts on the socket and see if they are both there and whether or not they are bent back. Afther that inspect the hole where the socket came out of and see if they are both there and whether or not they are corroded(leaky trunk possible?) After that if it still doest work take your volt meter and test the points to see if you are getting enough voltage to the socket. Have you checked the fuse under the hood? Have you checked relays in the fusebox under the hood?
post back and i can help you some more
beamers4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
42, The meaning of life

Car: 2000 740iL Individual
Photos:
brettski is just really nicebrettski is just really nicebrettski is just really nicebrettski is just really nicebrettski is just really nice
Might be a silly question, but do all of your brake lights actually work even though the warning light says that they aren't? Have you replaced the failed bulb with the right wattage bulb?Was the original bulb blown or just not working?
brettski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Photos:
BEAMERS4LIFE,
Good info, will run thru check list.

Brettski,
I've learned no questions are silly. Original bulb was blown...and I can only hope my local
Autozone had the correct bulbs in the box. I did make sure the vendor # matched his computer info.
The new bulb was working, but when ‘bing’ came on I would tap the brake light cover and it would come back on. Now, nothing, 'bing' is in full effect and no brake light. This issue finally got on my nerves enough to ask for help, which is greatly appreciated.
Let me try the “fixes” and thanks again.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Help from over the pond

Car: E38 1997 728i Individual
Photos:
marti5 is on a distinguished road
I would say its bad contacts on the cluster....sand paper is the answer...

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
marti5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
yeah it sounds like the contacts do your voltmeter test and figure out what your getting from those two contacts. If its less than 11.4 or so then your contacts are corroded or you have a ground problem. If its zero then you have a short or a fuse or relay issue
Old 11-11-2009, 03:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Photos:
Well, I had a modest amount of success. Passenger side brake light now working. Driver side still out. Deffo heading in the right direction. NO volt meter testing done, will have to wait until weekend if a little more sanding won't cure.
Thanks!!!
Old 11-11-2009, 09:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
yep sounds like contacts are your issue buddy keep us posted. just remember thought if the contacts are bent back then they still wont make contact even if you have sanded them. Also in the fusebox pull out the yellow mustard colored relay and inspect the protruding contacts do they seem slightly burnt at all if not then put it back in. It is either one or the other from here out.
Old 11-13-2009, 04:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamers4life View Post
yep sounds like contacts are your issue buddy keep us posted. just remember thought if the contacts are bent back then they still wont make contact even if you have sanded them. Also in the fusebox pull out the yellow mustard colored relay and inspect the protruding contacts do they seem slightly burnt at all if not then put it back in. It is either one or the other from here out.
Well, I pulled the above relay and yes there is a not so pretty brownish burn mark. I may go pull the one from my parts car and replace. Hope that fixes it, if not I'll be back.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
Sounds like a problem if not the problem. Keep us posted.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:11 AM   #11 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Photos:
Could not get to my bro'in'laws to access my parts car. I honestly dont know if replacing
one old relay w/ another will work. I can have b-in-law's mech take a quick look at it.
One way or the other I'll work it out. Thanks to all.
That is All...
Old 08-08-2010, 07:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

Car: BMW 730i V8 - Calypsorot - E32
Photos:
Sarot is on a distinguished road
I have the exact same problem with my 730i. My buddy also suggested the contact points might be the problems and tried to sand paper the points but warning message still comes on. I'm working on buying new tail lights anyway (the whole unit!) and Im optimistic that the problem will go away.
Sarot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper