Battery Issues - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 07:19 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
mike_sh45 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hi. I have just recently purchased an older bmw, 1990 735IL. It sat for 4 months in the previous owners garage and the battery needs to be replaced. I found it under the right rear seat. In exploring on how I could possibly get that thing out and the new one in, i disconnected a wiring connection to see if that would allow me more room. It does. I replugged the wiring connection. I have not swapped out the battery yet. But now my stereo doesn't work! Its dead. Did i perhaps blow a fuse? If so, where are the fuses? If thats not it, what could it be? Thanks if you can help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 01:38 PM
3rd Gear Member

Bear is an unknown quantity at this point
If you disconnected the batttery, you also put the radio in a recode mode. if so, you will nedd to ennter the code for that particular radio using the number keys or buttons on th radio.

Also, to get the battery out you need to remove that rear seat cushion and on the il it is easier to:
1. Take buttons off of seat and head rest adjusters (they pull off).
2.Remove the two screws holding the plastic trim in place and remove the trim.
3..If your battery is dead, then disconnect the seatbelt electrical connector on outboard side of seat.
4. Remove the bolt (13MM I believe)that goes horizontally through the seat belt attachment rod.
5.Now, yank front of sest cushion up and then slide it out of the seat back cushion (two curved rods that slide up into the seat back).
6.Lift cushion and disconnect the under seat wiring connector and set seat aside(some of thesr cushiond have a push button on lower front of cushion that also acts as a release.

7. You now have access to your battery.

Reinstall is reverse of removal except, I would move the seat cushion all the way foreward and also move the front passenger seat all the way foreward (working room). Getting the seat cushion rods back and up into the seat back is a real PITA the first time, takes lots of patience and many bad words.
#3 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 07:51 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
yeah, thanks for that step by step on the battery. as for the radio, there is zero power to the radio. it does not even say code. dead! me, not knowing exactly where the battery was, took the left rear seat out. perhaps i disturbed some wiring to the radio under there? the fuse was not burned out. now what should i do?
please help. driving my beemer with no tunes is driving me nuts!
#4 (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 04:51 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
ok. so i replaced my battery and all is good. radio says "code". i've got the code card out and manual. the code card has 5 digits. the code pad on the radio has 4!
i give it a try any way and fail 3 times. disconnect the battery and start over. does anyone know why there are 5 numbers on the card and only 4 spaces on the place where the code goes?
#5 (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 06:36 PM

Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
A 1990 735 shouldnt have a radio that displays underscores that correspond with the digits. That sounds likea later model radio. Is it a factory radio? and is it the stock unit for your year/model car? If not then maybe the radio cards correspond to the original unit and not the installed unit? Not sure but something to look into. Also if it is a factory radio and you have unsuccessfully entered the code 3 times then the radio will go into "code wait" mode and is locked out. The way to fix this is to leave the key in and radio on for 1 hour and 15 mins. this will take it out of code wait mode.

DT

P.S If your not sure if the radio is original equipment for your year model post a pic is possible.

DT

#6 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 04:28 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
yes, i'm sure its a factory bmw radio. but no, not sure if its the original. i guess the thing to do would be to pop off the face and get the serial number, see if it matches that on the code card. those take a special tool to get our i suppose? i think maybe buying the tool would be cheaper than having a bmw repair pop it and get it for me. not sure.
the manual said to cancel out the alarm and lock out was to disconnect the battery for 5 minutes. then a 15 minute wait. i had the sunroof open with the sun shining in all weekend and no tunes. hey, this is fun.
#7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 05:10 PM

Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
here is a link to what the bmw radio tool looks like....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...ssPageName=WD1V

You may get lucky and find a friendly dealership who will remove the radio for free as well as retrieve the code from BMW's database via the serial number, some do charge around 20-30 dollars to do so which still isnt too bad.

As far as disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes to reset the alarm or code feature, that has nothing to do with the radio and if the radio is in lockout mode you will still have to do what I explained in my last post.

DT

DT

#8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 06:41 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
thanks for your help guys. i finally got the code thing figured out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper