98 750il Starter Works but no fuel or fire???? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 02:12 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
jubileetire is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
98 750il Starter Works but no fuel or fire????

HELP HELP HELP! LOL, I just purchased my first V-12 BMW and am wondering what the f*%@ have I done. A little history first, the car is a 98 and sat in a friends garage for the past two years (with battery removed). Installed new battery and everything in car works, but starter wouldn't turn over. Took to a friend who has BMW software to have keys reprogramed (thought they were not in alignment after so long without power). Keys in alignment, starter bad! Replaced starter, now car turns over but has NO FUEL OR FIRE! Anyone have any ideas? I did replace the crankshaft pos sensors also. Thanks, Lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 04:08 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Also on this car

Also the car is one owner and BMW serviced for life, prior to my purchase about a month ago. There is power to all fuses and relays, even to ones in trunk area for fuel pump....but no power with key on or turning over to fuel pump or ignition.....possibly something to do with the theft system? Any ideas will be mucho appreciated....
#3 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 08:22 PM
4DoorWhore

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lord Vader is on a distinguished road
Welcome to Bimmerwerkz.

The issue with a car sitting for so long is stuff breaks down over time. Rubber, plastic, fuel. If possible, get as much fuel out of the tank as you can. Gasoline breaks down and can clog up the pump and filter in addition to not being flammable anymore. Storage over a year is not recommened for this reason. You will definitley want to replace your fuel filter as well.

When where the spark plugs changed last? Inspect the coil packs as well. They may have gone bad as well.

If you have power to the car then you can scan the OBD system for Trouble Codes. I would have this done if possible as this can help identify any other issues that may be present.

ProjectTechnik.com - Alberta based BMW Community
See My car on Project Technik HERE!

And Follow Me on Instagram @E36M52

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club! Paint Code #343

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
#4 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 05:55 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Hmmmmmmm

There seems to be some confusion, thanks for the reply. The car WILL TURN OVER, but has no fire, injectors are off and so is fuel pump...is there something that disables all of this? Security system?????? I know the keys are good.
#5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 11:57 AM
4DoorWhore

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lord Vader is on a distinguished road
The car should have EWS. What that is, is BMW's anti theft system. A code given by the chip in the key has to match the code from the ignition. If they match the car starts. You can get it to turn over so I dont think thats it.

What do you mean injectors and fuel pump are "off"? Have you checked and double checked all your fuses?

ProjectTechnik.com - Alberta based BMW Community
See My car on Project Technik HERE!

And Follow Me on Instagram @E36M52

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club! Paint Code #343

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
#6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 09:05 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the reply...I have checked and replaced all fuses and relays. New battery and both crank sensors. There is no spark, but car will turn over. The fuel pump does not come on, but can be jumped with a bypass wire and pump runs. Spraying ether into intakes will only make engine "cough" a little. It seems something is turning these things off, but I have no clue. Any help is appreciated greatly. Thanks
#7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 01:51 AM
n00b

Deuce7231 is on a distinguished road
do you have 2 keys and have you tried them both? the EWS Vader spoke of looks for a signal from the key to the ring antenna, with out this signal the "electric" ignition switch will not signal the dme to operate fuel injectors. the next step in your diagnosis should be to test with a known good key, meaning if you do not have one, its time to go to the dealer and pick up a spare. you may be surprised how many cars I have fixed with a new key, they get dropped, wet, some require to be in the ignition for internal charging. however you have not mentioned whether or not you have any codes, so the first step should be to establish communication with the dme to ensure it is good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper