95 740i Wiper problem - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 12:08 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
tberardi is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
95 740i Wiper problem

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was rainng very hard the other day.
Switch wipers to fast speed but they stayed at same speed as normal speed.
Fast speed is a necessity on this car when driving thru hard rain.
Can any one lead in in right direction to fix this.
I checked the top 2 relays visible after thaking off the whole fuse cover under the hood but nothing out of character.

If it makes a difference, the right fog light always stays on even when I turn car off.
I had to disconnect the plug to prevent it from draining the battery.
The left one works as it should with the switch.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 03:55 AM
Help from over the pond

marti5 is on a distinguished road
I would say, it's either the operating stalk or a relay, I would tend to go for the stalk and probably the contacts are not meeting or dirty, remove the cowling and switch and give the switch a big blast with electric cleaner from an aerosol can.

VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
#3 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 11:04 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
After studying the electrical circuit diagram with my electrical engineer brother in law, we determined the problem rests in the stalk as Marti5 noted previously or with the GM module. We will test the fast wire terminations for ground at the GM module connector sometime this week or next weekend to see where the problem lies.
Will post solution if we fix it.
#4 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 03:04 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Removed the wiper stalk - it was extremely easy and took it apart - again extremely easy - no springs pop out - BMW quality is apparent.
Anyway, I cleaned the sliding contacts, increased the lever tension and put it back together but it did not solve the problem after reinstallation. Checked contnuity and all contacts work. Wiper relay is next.
Does anyone know or can show a picture of exactly where the wiper relay is and its exact position??
#5 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 03:58 AM
Help from over the pond

marti5 is on a distinguished road
The relay on your 740 is located in the e-box with the engine computer on the right side of the engine compartment at the rear corner. You need to remove the cover to access the relay. This is the black cover around the underhood fuse box.

You will see four relays (1) (2) (3)
(4)

(4) is under (3)

#3 is the main relay and #2 is the speed relay, but are really known as relays 7&8

VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
#6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 10:49 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I did open the main lid over the fuse box in the engine compartment and I see 2 relays next to fuses and more relays buried down under about a foot deep.
Why would BMW put relays so far deep in that hole, you need miniature hands to get down there. especially if you drop a tool down there. Dumb.

Anyway, can Marti5 pls guide me further here?
#7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 04:24 PM
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
ok the car drops a speed when the car is stopped.... does it stay on normal even while your going 10-15mph when set on fast? also if you set it to normal does it stay on normal or drop to intermedeant?

1991 Ford Taurs SHO 5 Speed White on Tan
1996 Chevy Lumina LTZ Rep 3.4L
1992 318i Coupe parts car
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
#8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 11:31 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
When stalk is in intermittant position and car is in motion or stopped, wiper speed is intermittant.

When stalk is in normal position and car is in motion, wiper speed is normal
When car stops, wiper speed goes to intermittant.

When stalk is put in fast position and car in moition, wiper speed does not change and remains at same speed as normal. When car stops, wiper speed goes to intermittant.

Hope that helps you Alpine6&7.
#9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 01:06 AM

AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
ok it is getting a speed signal... so it SHOULD be the relay marti point'd out
Heres a write up on replacement
Winshield Wiper Malfunction | BMW 740iL | Magnum

I am Captain Obvious
#10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 04:37 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Had the chance to investigate further today as its Sataurday.
Removed fuse cover, removed the 3 modules and then pulled each one of the 3 relays (1 brown + 2 purple) at the bottom of the tub. There was also 4th relay socket beside the above three but the relay is missing. Anyone no what that would be for and should I put a relay there.
I bench tested each relay with a separate 12v power source and they all function fine.
So I went back in to take a closer look at the relay socket assembly, took the holddown screws out and flipped the assembly and to my surprise there was a fair amount of corrosion (green) there all over the terminals. I also found 2 small wires disconnected.
The wire color of one of the wires appears to match the fast wipe coil on the relay.
I think I found the problem.
Now how do I clean up this corrossion and resolder the wire into the socket.
There is not much wire slack to easily work in the tub. It is tight and ackward.
I will try to move the fuse tray out to make more room.
Also, how do I get the hood to stand straight up because its definitely in the way.
Definitely curse the designers who put those relays on the bottom.
they could of easily moved themn near the top next to the 2 master relays next to the fuse tray. Maybe, I should cut all the wires and move them there myself. I'm too chicken though.
All your comments would be useful here.
#11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 05:19 PM

I believe he's talking about this. just buy a new relay.... there like $22 tops.... your just going to have to redo it again if you dont....

I am Captain Obvious
#12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 01:02 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Smile 95 740i Wiper problem - Fixed

Well its finally fixed.

The problem turned out be to two broken wires at the terminal on the wiper relay no. 2 socket. Once resoldered on, the fast wipe worked perfectly.

It would not of mattered how many new relays were installed, it would never of worked and a waste of money and time.
Sometimes, you have to find the root of problem before you start replacing parts at random.

Removing the female spades from the relay socket turned out to be an extremely complex chore.
There are 4 prongs that hold the spade in the relay socket. After fiddling for 3 hours trying to get them out with 4 small screwdrivers sticking out of it, I finaly got one out in good shape, but destroyed the other one in frustration.

Having no source to get a new spade and desperate to get the car on the road for work tommorrow, I ended up soldering the remaining wire to the relay spade terminal.

Does anyone know if those femaile spades can be ordered online so I can fix this properly???

Anyone figure out what the 4th missing relay would be for. I don't believe I have a feature that is not working, however, you never know. I've only had the car a few months. One relay was pinkish numbered Bosch 0332-019-456,
the wiper relays 1 & 2 were the same -purple - Siemans V23134E59X107 & 6136-1388911. The other relay socket was empty but 5 wires did terminate to the socket - 5 blade type. I surmize it would be the same as the purple sieman wiper relay.

Can anyoone confirm this???

Someday, I will move all those relays on the bottom to the top of the tub to avoid future corrosion problems as we have snow and salt for many months every year here in Windsor, Ontario.

Next job is to fix the fog light problem next weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper