BMW Werkz banner

94 740il

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  gonigarcia 
#1 ·
I`ve had this car for two mo`s,Its needed a drive shaft and now reverse has gone out.They tell me that will be 3500.00 @ 118k mi.whats next?

#5 ·
Well she is 11 years of age, and driveshafts on these cars seem to last (IMO)about 150,000 miles, mine went at 135,000. Transmissions with proper care, drain and filter change on a regular basis should go, hopefully 200,000 miles. You are probably aproacihng suspension component replacement (if original) as well as hoses, belts and fuel lines, and maybe a fan clutch as well. This is not menat to scare you but to let you know what MAY be next.

#9 ·
Originally posted by Tom Taylor@Jun 19 2005, 04:08 PM
I`ve had this car for two mo`s,Its needed a drive shaft and now reverse has gone out.They tell me that will be 3500.00 @ 118k mi.whats next?
[snapback]355021[/snapback]​
The problem is a valve in the transmission. it happens with that type of transmission typiclly. it shoul be less than 1000 bucks. There is a replacement kit that you can get. Keep Googleling BMW 740 il and Transmission Program and you will get the web sites and forumns that helped me to resolve that issue last year. Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.