93 740il "TRANS PROGRAM" - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2004, 05:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
93 740iL is an unknown quantity at this point
I was driving under normal conditions when the transmission acted up and the "TRANS PROGRAM" displayed on the dash. I pulled the car over, let it rest for about 30 minutes, and then started it up with no problems. The tranny then acted fine. I've driven it 2 days since this occured and have had no problems. What would cause this? Is my transmission on the way out. I just bought the car from an Auto Broker so I'm trying to figure out what I need to do if this is a major problem. Thanks.
93 740iL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2004, 12:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
bad man working is an unknown quantity at this point
As a BMW tech of many I can say that the ZF autobox fitted to your car is very relieable, Themost common cause of thius fault on this model is the serlector switch which is mounted on the gear lever. Get the fault memory for the EGS (gearbox ecu) check and this fault should be stored.
bad man working is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 06:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Bear is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree, the neutral safety/backup light/gear selector switch is responsible for many problems. You can access the switch by first taking the S/E/M or A/M selector on the left of the shifter out ( it prys out and then the connector disconnects) and then releasing the shifter handle (be careful to hold the shifter trigger up or depressed, I use duct tape or the plastic rod will fall out and ypu will have to reatatch (no big deal unless this is afirst time)to the pin behind the trigger. The consloe wood then can be pried out starting at front corner and then you will see the white platic shfter assembly in the shifter cavity and next to shift rod. Easier to go to www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_2.htm which is Don Gales How to, with picture and text.
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 04:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
7series Land Yacht is an unknown quantity at this point
I had this problem with my '98 740iL. Turns out that my Tranny was not on the way out, but instead, there was a problem with the throttle regulator. I'd recomend having this checked out, as the problem hasn't occured since I had this part fixed.
7series Land Yacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper