'93 740i with NOISY tires between 40 50mph! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 02:17 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
edf6205 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
'93 740i with NOISY tires between 40 50mph!

I get a loud 'thrumming' noise from the tires between 40 & 50MPH - loudest first thing in the morning. It seems to go away after about 15 - 20 miles. I've replaced the tires; balanced them twice; had 2 alignments; replaced all four struts; and replaced the tie rods and the connecting bar. There is no perceptable shake or vibration while this noise is going on. If I shift into neutral while the car is moving the noise is still there. So I don;t think it's drive shaft u-joints. I have also cleaned the inside of the wheels and the rotors, around the bolt holes, to make sure there is a good smooth fit.
Anyone got some ideas? This is driving me crazy!

Can anyone offer some insight as to what can be wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 03:20 PM
2nd Gear Member

EXtech is an unknown quantity at this point
WHEEL BEARING(s)

STETT Performance -
Everything BMW
921 J Place, Suite 200
Plano, TX 75074
469-767-3309

OEM Repairs and Maintenance
Extended Warranty Service
Pre-Purchase Inspections
Everything Performance (brakes, turbos, Nitrous, Cams, Complete Engines, Clutches/Flywheels etc)
-----------

STETT Performance Official Grand Opening BMW Meet, May 6th 11A-3P -- Music, Food, Drawings and Tons of BMW's go to http://206.123.107.13/stett and register.. it's FREE
#3 (permalink) Old 11-25-2005, 08:37 PM
Pandemonium Director

nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
What kind of tires? Some tires after sitting for only a short time develope flat spots. I deal with that BS with vogue tyres DAILY. Tires which have alot of rubber to act as a dampener to create a softer feel tend to develope flat spots which in turn create vibrations which will eventually go away with driving.

They also might be hardening which sumitomo and a couple other brands are notorious for doing which creates high roadforce and alot of road noise.

Have your tires roadforced and 180'd and if the front tires need more then 2oz/wheel then your wheels are probably out of round/bent or your tires are.

Get the roadforce numbers, and go from there. If you bought them from a dealership most will eat the cost of replacing tires up to 9/32nd of treadwear.

#4 (permalink) Old 11-25-2005, 08:54 PM
n00b

4evamax is on a distinguished road
Does that same thing happen with yokohamas?
#5 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 06:07 PM
Pandemonium Director

nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
not from my experience as of yet, dont sell many though. mostly deal with BFG/nitto/toyo/vogue/continental, with a couple oddballs if some eccentric saab owner absolutely has to have some certain tire.

i actually tend to like yokos though, the es100 is a bargain for the performance its capable of.

#6 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 08:02 AM
n00b

edf6205 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
I had Pirelli and switched to Falken 512's. Since my first post I've had my mechanic check more stuff - the drive shaft seems to be OK, wheel bearings are OK. I'll see about getting the tires roadforced and 180'd.

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper