89 635 security remote unit - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 11:29 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Phantom25 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
89 635 security remote unit

Got another one for the pro's on the net.
Here goes
Got a 89 635 with a factory installed (alpine) security system in it that came with two fobs. One of those fobs was lost in a move and took nearly two years to find a replcement dirct from Germany.

For clarity I will refer to the control unit as control unit. the original fob as FOB 1, and the replacement fob as FOB2.

When FOB 2 arrived my mechanic married it to the control unit as prescribed in the Alpine security insatructions that came with the car. Upon testing we found that both FOB 1 and FOB 2 operated wiithout any problems.

But a couple of weeks later FOB 2 failed to operate any more while FOB 1 operated normally.

Last week FOB 1 stopped operating completely and after checking all fuses, and wiring it was determined that the FOB had failed and the rest oif the system was good.

The next day I was fooling around wit FOB 2 and upon pressing the lock buttom found that it was working again and we can't figure out why that should happen unless the unit is a rolling code system that requires going back and re-marrying bot FOB 1 and FOB 2 in the control unit again.

Finally, we had thought to just buy a replacement micro chip package of three or four micro chips but they are impossible to find.

Okay guys -- HOW DO WE FIX THIS??? --- PLEASE

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 11:11 AM
4DoorWhore

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lord Vader is on a distinguished road
Have you tried re-marrying them again like you suggested? Have you checked eBay for a replacement?

ProjectTechnik.com - Alberta based BMW Community
See My car on Project Technik HERE!

And Follow Me on Instagram @E36M52

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club! Paint Code #343

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
#3 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 11:23 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Lord Vader
Haven't tried to re-marry them as yet -- will keep you advised.
And trying to find the three or four package of micro chips has been impossible through any and all sources. I have even though of writing to Alpine in Japan explaining my problem but I doubt if they have any on hand after all these years.
I have also thought of trying to finda micro chip company that could duplicate them for me.

THanks
#4 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 11:34 AM
4DoorWhore

Having a company duplicte them would be very expensive and not worth it. An aftermarket system would be much better.

When I said eBay I meant for a replacement fob. BMW fobs pop up on eBay a fair bit. I need one for my E36 and their are a couple on eBay.

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
#5 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 12:10 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Lord

It took two years to find a replacement fob for the one I lost in the move.
After exchausting all approaches, including EBay, I went to Atlantic euro on the net and they found six somewhere in the depths of Europe of which I got one (don't know where the other five went).
And since the replacement Fob worked on the initial setup after received it and is now working (and the original failed) I think its a problem in the control unit.
I would really like to keep my machine in as original condition as possible as it is in perfect condition with 91,000 on the clock and one of only 127 89 635's that was shipped to the U.S. with a 5 speed transmission in it.
So I'll keep on trying.
#6 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 12:22 PM
4DoorWhore

I understand wanting to keep it original. Have you taken a look at the control unit yet? If you have a voltmeter I would check the fuses and then the connectors to make sure everything is okay

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper