BMW Werkz banner

850Ci Should I?

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Lord Vader 
#1 ·
Ok so I love the 850 and why shouldn't I? They are amazing cars and I personally find them very attractive. Not to mention their story isn't so bad as it is sad. So I have been thinking of purchasing one and read so many different ideas of what they are valued at. Right now I have found a few (mostly 93's) and they are commonly priced between 20 and 40k. All with the same miles on the car (roughly 100k to 130k) and all in excellent condition. Now this all seems great and makes sense except that I found one for $5,300 80,000 miles and in excellent condition. Another at a dealer for $7,500 also in excellent condition with 103,000 miles.
The strange thing is that when reading the e31.net site information it states that most of the cars are valued between $50k and $75k. Yet the kbb and nada values them between $7k and $15k.
These cars are all amazing and I would love to have one. Just don't know if these two for under $10k are because the ones selling them are misinformed and I should take advantage, or the cars being sold for $20-40K are misinformed and are in for a surprise when finding they will get so little.
Anyhow I am interested and am about to grab up one of these if it is what I am thinking.....

Any advice

#2 ·
Check them out thoroughly, like you would any other car. If you can, get an independant BMW mechanic to look them over (pay for it to be done properly). If they pass scrutiny, the services have been performed regularly, and you're happy with the condition and performance of them, jump in.

#3 ·
When I first read te thread title my first thought was "How much money you got?". As you said, they are gorgeous and incredible cars. The problem is they have issues, and teir is a huge lack of parts support. A few owners on different forums have said they are quite expensive to maintain as a result.

They arent worth anything over $20~ k. Their are custom made Convertable versions selling for $25k on eBay. As Bretski said get it inspected, but try to find a mechanic that specializes in cars like this. Not every mechanic will work on an 8er. Check to make sure theirs one near you so your not driving 2 hours for a mechanic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.