BMW Werkz banner

740iL (E38) Breaking Lug Bolts - HELP!

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  LeLimoMan 
#1 ·
I have owned my 1998 BMW 740iL for the last seven years and it has been one of best cars I have ever owned. I recently bought a pick-up truck for winter and hauling and I think my BMW is jealous and trying to kill me now!

As a matter of background info, the car has 165K on it and I am running Goodyear F1 tires on it in the summer mounted on Elbrus rims. Two months ago on a trip up to Maine, I took an exit ramp and noticed a loud/rhythmic clicking sound coming from the rear of my car. It was speed sensitive. I pulled over and found that 4 of my five lug bolts had broken off on the passenger side rear wheel just inside the rotor. (Holy Sh*t :eek:hnoes ) I was able to chase the broken bits out with a pick and "borrowed" a lug bolt from each of the remaining wheels and limped home. All the other bolts seemed to be in good shape and tight. I immediately replaced ALL the lug nuts with new and was sure to use a torque wrench to tighten them to 85lbs. I thought that would be the end of the problem and that some numbnut had used an impact gun on them at some point in the past.

This last week, I was coming back from a run to the local store and noticed a familiar clicking noise as I was coming to a stop. I pulled over in the nearest parking lot and low and behold, there were 4 lug bolts missing from the same rear wheel again! What gives!?!?

As I was, once again, replacing the lug bolts, I checked everything on the rear end and all seems tight. There is absolutely no movement in the rotor/hub. I did notice that both my rear tires are wearing a lot more than the fronts and especially on the outside edge. They are essentially toast now.

I am totally at a loss on what to do at this point. Can anyone shed some light on what might be the cause? Is it the wheels? is it the rear suspension? I am stumped and my BMW mechanic says he's never seen anything like this either.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.