740iL - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2004, 12:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
talonc4t is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=blue]
Hey there peeps, thanks for taking some time to read this.....
Ok I own a 1995 740il, and it has bee givingnme some problems. Recently i washed the car and I think I may have sprayed some water into the engine bay. About 1.5hrs later the dash (instrument cluster) went on the fritz. I was not able to read a damn thing. It looked like the car was possesed (lol). The car was still running fine though, so i figured that the problem would correct itself. Well by the next day, the car would not start. When turning the key all the lights would come on (including headlights) and the starter would turn. Yet the engine would not even attempt to turn over. You could hear everything going except for the actual engine. I even did the gas pedal to the floor b4 putting the key in just incase it was flooded, but still nothing. By now the display was relaying all the information just like normal (non-possesed), but "trans program" came up in the display panel. has anything like this happened to anyone b4? Can you all thing of any possible causes. There is a 1/4 tank of gas in the car, and I even recharged the battery just to make sure. The car has oil too. I also should say that I let my mother drive the car while I'm away at school. I tell her to maintain it, but I dont know if she does. I suspect it may be fouled plugs, but i would like to hear what yall think. THanks for reading/replying to this post (i know it was long!)........talon
talonc4t is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2004, 07:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
icntspl is an unknown quantity at this point
ummmm, i dunno what the problem might be but in this case i would recomend you call a mechanic or the dealership or someone, sumpin got fride. if you are throwing "trans program" then i would assume the main ECU is what got hit. i know nothing about BMW's but i dont know if there is a separate controller for the trans or not. best of luck to you,

edit: read over your post more carefully, if other things were going wrong too its probably the main ECU. some circuits were just damp, others burnt themselves up
icntspl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper