740i Check Engine Light - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2004, 11:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
audiosolstice is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to audiosolstice Send a message via AIM to audiosolstice
well i havent been on here a while since I moved to collge but im back with a question.
my 95 740i would idle rough after filling up then would go away...then the check engine ligth went off a while after and the car idles rough...so i brought it to a mechanic to read the codes since i dont have a code reader...and he said he had to change an O2 sensor. he did that and then worked without problems then little while later same thang happened. what can be going on here...do i need to change another one? engine idles rough but no hesitation or loss of power.

thanks
audiosolstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2004, 10:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
best330ci is an unknown quantity at this point
if the problem is the engine check light make sure your gas nozzle isclosed properly and monitor this issue over time....
best330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 01:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Millions of them.

Car: e36 w/ a m42
Photos:
Torque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond repute
-check that you do not have a cracked fuel cap... i've seen it greatly affect the engine
-doesn't your car have 2 O2 sensors ? change the other one
-try using 91+ octane a few times to see if that affects it any (if you are not using it already).. dont know what else to tell you
Old 03-31-2004, 11:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
well this is what i found.....never bringing it to a mechanic again.....well i asked my mom what the mecahnic told her since she brought it there...that fool told her the car had 6 O2 sensors..wtf? and that they were all bad and she needed to replace them all....so i told her forget about him im gonna look at it.....so i checked the code manually....ignition on act WOT switch 5X...and guess what code popped up 1212...yep No.2 O2 sensor....so it looks like i will have to change the other one out....will do it myself with the car lift at the GM dealer ship my mom works at. and yes my car does indeed have 2 O2 sensors not 6..lol

thanks for the help all...and the car once rode a couple miles doesnt idle rough at all
Old 03-31-2004, 11:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Millions of them.

Photos:
Torque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond repute
what kind of technician/mechanic can say that any car has 6 O2 sensors ? what is he thinking...
Old 03-31-2004, 11:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by torque0@Apr 1 2004, 12:15 AM
what kind of technician/mechanic can say that any car has 6 O2 sensors ? what is he thinking...
i really have no idea....hes supposedly ASE cert too. I think he was just trying to screw over my mom and probally thought she had money b/c she was a women adn drove a BMW. the most i have ever seen on a vehicle was 4....i dont see why you would need more then that.....but he has lost business for good from anyone i know
Old 04-01-2004, 12:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
Millions of them.

Photos:
you should go tell him that there is 8 sensors and he was wrong when he said 6 haha

i just wonder why everybody thinks people driving bmw's are rich... i have a freaking 90 525 and everybody is like "rich boy" while they ride around in new eclipses that cost 4 times as much...makes no sense
Old 04-01-2004, 12:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by torque0@Apr 1 2004, 12:43 AM
you should go tell him that there is 8 sensors and he was wrong when he said 6 haha

i just wonder why everybody thinks people driving bmw's are rich... i have a freaking 90 525 and everybody is like "rich boy" while they ride around in new eclipses that cost 4 times as much...makes no sense
you aint the only one buddy....when i got the 7 which i only paid like 7000 for some chicks i knew started to hit on me alot more and flirt with me and smoe peeps that ran with my crew started calling me rich boy etc...when i have a friend who paid more for his 4th hand F-150 then i did for the 7....its very odd
Old 04-01-2004, 01:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
Millions of them.

Photos:
who cares as long as we are happy
Old 04-01-2004, 11:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by torque0@Apr 1 2004, 01:50 AM
who cares as long as we are happy
amen brother
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper