BMW Werkz banner

635csi woes, What should I do

3K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  omorales 
#1 ·
Alright, I've got a 1985 635csi. Here's my situation.

The car has been sitting for over a year, the A-clutch on the transmission is fried. The tranny fluid seems burnt, and it's stuck in gear.

Meanwhile, the car has begun to rust into the ground. I've been doing my best to keep it away, but basically, my passanger side quarterpanel around the wheelwell is toast, needs to be cut out and have a new piece welded in. Bondo isn't cutting it.

A new transmission for the car, another automatic (which is what caused the problem) will run me 400-700 dollars. I have no way of moving the car, so I'd have to have it towed out, with the transmission still in gear... Meaning I would have to block up the tires, and disconnect the driveshaft.

The other option I have is a manual tranny conversion. I haven't been able to figure out just what I'd need, but I'm planning on calling bavarian auto recycling for a quote... This would mean me praying to god that I don't have to replace the entire ECU...and hoping that I'd be able to do this for under a grand.

What would you guys suggest I do about this? I'm really not sure which option to take here. I'd be doing all the work myself, meaning the cost of a set of jack stands (hopefully will get the car high enough to drop the tranny out) or towing it to a shop where the work can be preformed for an exorbanant rate). As for the rust, well, I'd have to find a car and cut the quarterpanels, and one of the front fenders off of it.

Also, FYI, there are three diffrent automatic transmissions for the 1985 635 CSI, I cannot for the life of me get under the car to identify which one I have. Is there an easier way to get this information? and where exactly on the transmission would it be located?

See less See more
#3 ·
What the page neglects to report is that there are in fact 6 diffrent transmission styles for that car. Electronic with CV Joint, 4 bolt Electronic, 3 bolt electronic, CV joint hydraulic, 4 bolt hydraulic, and 3 bolt hydraulic.

The manual trans, however, comes in one style. Hopefully i'll be able to get one of those.

#5 ·
Thanks alot man, I'll probably be in contact with him in the next few days to try to figure out which transmission is in this vehicle, since it's impossible to read anything underneath that car since its practically impossible to get underneath that car.... I've got like 3 inches of ground clearance. It's awesome.

Thanks alot man.

#6 ·
go for the maunal conversion I am doing it on my mercedes Benz. It will be totally worth it. You'll need a manual transmission, clutch kit, flywheel, slave cyl., master cyl., clutch line hose, and pedal assembly, shifter, shift knob and boot i dont know about the electronics of this car yet(getting mine sunday but if you need and pics of the 5 speed stuff just post what you need) but im sure it can be bypassed but go for it i loved my 5 speed e30 and im sure ill love my 5 speed 633. and im sure you will love it if your 635 was a 5 speed

#8 ·
Yeah, but my e24 still occupies a place in my garage... Just waiting for the right time/right paycheck to make my move.

#9 ·
d3ity said:
Yeah, but my e24 still occupies a place in my garage... Just waiting for the right time/right paycheck to make my move.
i figured he would still have it i just wanted to tell him he should go for it and tdo the 5 speed swap

#10 ·
Yeah... I could never... ever bring myself to sell that car... it's far too pretty... and it's pretty damn fast.

#11 ·
d3ity said:
Yeah... I could never... ever bring myself to sell that car... it's far too pretty... and it's pretty damn fast.
yeah the 6 series just looks sporty to my havent driven one yet so ill take your word on the perm. of the car but you should do the conversion and bring him/her back onto the road someday :D sry bout the OLD post revivel thing just really happy i am getting my 6 on sunday(towing him home will have MANY pics) do you have pics of your 6?

#13 ·
6er is for sale at the moment for the right price... it's time for her to go to a better home.

#14 ·
lol I ended up buying a 87 635 for $500 wish i could buy it it is purdy.... sry D i can get you sixer.... mom said she'll kill me if i bring another car home.... even though i'm looking at a civic....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.