2004 745i reliability? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 03:57 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ISFkid is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
2004 745i reliability?

Hey everybody, I currently own a 2008 Lexus IS-F which I'm really sad to part with. This is probably the wrong forum to gloat about a Lexus on, but it's a phenomonal ride and incredibly fast, definitely fair game with the M3 in many aspects.

I'm a 21 year old college student and I'm about to buy my first condo in Chicago and need an additional 20,000 in liquidity(going mortgageless!) so I am trying to find a quality luxury car in the 20,000 range.

There are a couple of 2004 745i sedans in my price range and it seem like a really nice vehicle. I think the design on the 7 series is much more timeless and refined than any other BMW model. I talked with an older friend who owns a 2004 and he said it's reliable, but when the time comes for repairs, it can be a bit pricy.

From what I've been reading on these forums, there are a lot of little problems that can add up on the car. This will be my 2nd car so I'm not familiar with repair costs and such, especially on BMWs. I was a bit outraged when my Lexus dealership quoted my $1200 on my front rotor/brake pad replacements, is this the same price range on a BMW? The motor seems bullet proof, but I've always read about BMWs having electronic issues.

So my question:

Are 2004 BMW 745s costly / frequent in repair at the 50k mile range?

I have been searching the forum myself and have found some answers, but any additional input would be GREATLY appreciated.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 04:05 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
The ISF is quite cool; have you seen the Top Gear test between it and the ///M3? In any event, looking at the cars your interested in, always check for good and complete service records.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#3 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 04:12 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ISFkid is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by witeshark View Post
The ISF is quite cool; have you seen the Top Gear test between it and the ///M3? In any event, looking at the cars your interested in, always check for good and complete service records.
Yup! Very few reviewers were willing to make the IS-F the winner. The M3 handles much better, rides much smoother and MOST say, looks nicer. I chose the Lexus because I hate dealerhip visits and I only had to make one maintenance visit (for new front brakes/rotors at 23k miles), and a few cheap $30 oil changes at Toyota (Lexus oil changes are 30% more for the same oil, the only difference being better free food and a higher quality free car wash)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper