2002 X5 Catastrophic Failure!!! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2004, 12:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
m3isdabomb is an unknown quantity at this point
my 2002 bmw x5, 3.0 with only 27,728 miles was recently serviced for the BMW inspection I. so i brought it in monday morning and the dealership did the works: oil change, top fluids, the works. i didn't drive it all day tuesday, but when i drove it wednesday, all hell broke loose:
1) check coolant light went off
2) thermostat gauge shot to the red
3) oil pressure light was blinking when idle
4) STOP ENGINE!
5) and then the engine started stalling.,

it was working fine before i brought it in. what's wrong with my car??? i had to call AAA to tow it in on a flatbed and the service advisors said someone will call me, but it's not guaranteed they can work on it tomorrow because of the other cars that have appointments. HELP!
m3isdabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2004, 09:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
bradvo is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by m3isdabomb@Dec 30 2004, 12:08 AM
my 2002 bmw x5, 3.0 with only 27,728 miles was recently serviced for the BMW inspection I. so i brought it in monday morning and the dealership did the works: oil change, top fluids, the works. i didn't drive it all day tuesday, but when i drove it wednesday, all hell broke loose:
4) STOP ENGINE!

it was working fine before i brought it in. what's wrong with my car??? i had to call AAA to tow it in on a flatbed and the service advisors said someone will call me, but it's not guaranteed they can work on it tomorrow because of the other cars that have appointments. HELP!
[snapback]260757[/snapback]
First off, this vehicle must be under warranty- Did the service dept. Help you by giving you a car to use? If not demand one, even if they have to loan you one off the show room floor.
I have had terrible luck with my 2001 X5- I cannot go a month with out some electrical problem- look further down at post about x5 with wiper problems. It has been out of shop less then 2 weeks now my rear window defoggers do not work.
I will be trading this piece of crap in before the extended warranty runs out.
bradvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 11:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
yes, it's still under warranty, and yes they gave me a loaner.

i just spoke to my service advisor and he said the car overheated. the advisor that gave me the loaner yesterday was reviewing the work done and mentioned something about the radiator was replaced. i didn't mention anything about the car overheating before i brought it in so maybe they found something while it was there.
Old 01-09-2005, 07:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
TECH is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by m3isdabomb@Dec 30 2004, 12:08 AM
4) STOP ENGINE!

[snapback]260757[/snapback]
If it stalls due to overheating, you've got problems.......Could need a whole engine. If it's not stopped shortly after getting to red, bad things happen.

As for the cause.........can't say. Maybe no oil, no coolant, thermostat............
TECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 12:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
fyi, a clip that fed the coolant to the oil cooler fell off, either due to a faulty part and/or faulty installation, which resulted in the engine to jump to the red, stalled engine, etc.

after i brought it in, a couple of things were still wrong:
1) led lights went out in a couple of pixels in the computer underneath the tach/speedometers
2) knocking sound in the engine

i scheduled an appointment to bring it in. they ended up replacing the instrument cluster and engine.

oh yeah, they also needed to replace the front axle because one of the jack stands damaged it.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

Car: '87 325es M50tu Swapped
Photos:
gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
i will never buy an X5 now thanks

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
gotKRAUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 05:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
BMWLotAttendant is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to BMWLotAttendant Send a message via MSN to BMWLotAttendant
Quote:
Originally posted by BMDubya@Jan 19 2005, 12:39 AM
[snapback]274648[/snapback]
Remember he has a 3.0, the 4.4s, 4.6s, and 4.8s are suprememly better having better, bigger engine to handle and give you less stress.

IMO....The X5 is the best SUV that BMW has.
BMWLotAttendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 05:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by BMWLotAttendant+Jan 23 2005, 05:23 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BMWLotAttendant @ Jan 23 2005, 05:23 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-BMDubya@Jan 19 2005, 12:39 AM
[snapback]274648[/snapback]
Remember he has a 3.0, the 4.4s, 4.6s, and 4.8s are suprememly better having better, bigger engine to handle and give you less stress.

IMO....The X5 is the best SUV that BMW has.
[snapback]277653[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]
Old 01-26-2005, 05:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
So owning a bigger engine means less electrical problems, give me a break.
Old 01-27-2005, 02:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
storme is an unknown quantity at this point
you gotta feel sorry for the guy,,what harsh luck.....
my beemers fine,,,i wish yours was

visit me at http://www.janspeed.com
storme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 12:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
Power Shifting

Car:
Photos:
Cruzin 323is is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Cruzin 323is
if u gotta get a new engine... get the 4.6.... heh!!

stuff for sale on my e36.. CHeck it out!
http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/aft...e36-49128.html
Cruzin 323is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 10:22 AM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
mclarenPower is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink

The BMW X5 is a total failure when it comes to reliablity.Nice car from the outside but inside to many technical failures.Take your car to the dealership and if it continues with problems tell them you want a new car. Remember you are the consumer .Don't let the dealer boss you around !!!!!
mclarenPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 10:23 AM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
mclarenPower is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink

The BMW X5 is a total failure when it comes to reliablity.Nice car from the outside but inside to many technical failures.Take your car to the dealership and if it continues with problems tell them you want a new car. Remember you are the consumer .Don't let the dealer boss you around !!!!!
mclarenPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 08:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
BimmerJD is an unknown quantity at this point
Too bad... but honestly, they obviously did SOMETHING wrong if the car was fine before taking it in... they should have to make things right!
DECISION the virtue of the WILL
The Organic Commandment
Frank Lloyd Wright
Taliesin, 1940
</span>
BimmerJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper