BMW Werkz banner

2002 745Li. A lemon in a pretty gray color.

4K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  kearnyme 
#1 ·
Yes, another dissatisfied Bimmer owner here. This is my 7th BMW, so I'm not unfamiliar with them at all. I've had an '02 745Li for 14 months now. It's been driveable about 12 months out of that. 19,000 miles in, the navigation system has been replaced twice, the exhaust once, battery twice. Various software upgrades - and downgrades when the upgrades screw up the car - have been performed; they take about a day each. Parking sensors have been replaced, and other computer modules along the way. Current problems? Transmission stinks. Go up a hill slowly, the transmission downshifts. Get to the top, and either drive in that low gear or play with the gas pedal to remind the car to shift. Same issue going downhill; it won't shift back to where it should be on its own. If I'd wanted manual I would have bought manual. I've had comments from passengers about that issue. The navigation system is hard to read (I'm on an '04 version now), and loves to freeze up at the most inconvenient times. If it's not freezing up, the display is telling me to go one way, the voice another. Half the towns in my area don't seem to have any driveable roads, according the BMW. The streets simply don't exist when trying to put in information. There are random error messages. Like reminders to put the car in park before turning it off. Always helpful when driving down the interstate. Or nasty notes about needing a remote to drive. (Gee, what is that thing in the ignition?) The memory is that of a geriatric patient; it forgets settings, and likes to reset everything to metric when least expected. Pushing the start button occasionally starts the car. Other times it just runs the battery down. Currently, the car is swearing that I have a flat tire. Darn if I can see it! At least it's the rear tire today. Yesterday it insisted it was a front tire. My dealer promised a buy back last fall. It's the end of June - I haven't had any success. On Friday, in desperation, I went to the Audi dealer and signed for a 2004 A8L. I pick it up tomorrow. I then went to my BMW dealer and pleaded one more time. "We're working on it." BMW's last offer was that if I gave them back the '02, plus $5000, I could step into the '04. Sounds good, but... I paid a 30 month lease in advance. If I take their offer, they'll allow me to start a new lease without penalty. In other words, every penny I've put into the lemon is lost, and I'm back at square one. And I'm supposed to accept? The original terms were I give them the '02, they give me the '04, and we call it even. Same terms, buy out at the end, etc. Why should I pay more than I already have? I didn't ask for these problems. I'm even willing to put out the extra $5000 for tax & title, although I shouldn't have to. Their offer causes me to lose everything, tens of thousands of dollars. So I plan on picking up the Audi, parking the BMW in the driveway (I just don't feel comfortable or SAFE driving it anymore), and hire a good attorney to do battle. Seems BMW feels they already have my money, so too bad. Anyone else out there in the same situation? Most of the '04 owners I've met had their '02's bought back. I'm stuck with an expensive and worthless toy. If anyone has any bright ideas, comments, or similar - email me at heidi@ctrealtor.net. And wish me luck!

See less See more
#2 ·
that was long, but im very sorry for your situation. i think that u r right to contact a lawyer regarding these issues you are having. i dont know where you are from, but in californis, it is illegal to sell a lemon, and all these problems probably drop your car into this catagory!
did u buy the car new? bmw owes you for all the inconveniences they have put you through. they are obgligated by laws and by advertisement to sell you a car that works properly, as advertised for your satisfaction. if they failed to do that then they falsified their advertising to you, as well as violated the lemon law (where applicable) and caused you much grief, wasted your time, ect. all of which were added to any costs to you.

bottom line: BMW owes you alot!!! they should replace w/out cost, but really, they should upgrade your car w/out cost and kiss your @$$ while they do it. your lawyer, if competent, will take care of this. you will probably have to use lawsuit threat to get it done properly, but it will be worth it when you win.

good luck, let us know what happens!
Mark

#3 ·
Sorry it was so long - and that's barely half the story. Yes, I bought it brand new. It was in the showroom in March of '03; too expensive for many, but I had brought the X-5 in for an oil change and saw it... I agree, BMW owes me more than what they took from me. I traded in a 1 year old paid for X-5 for this "thing". I'm in Connecticut. We have lemon laws, but will they apply? Add to that the fact that my salesperson assured me in February that the switch was going to happen at any minute, and advised me to stop bringing it in for repairs since I wasn't going to be driving it much longer. It's been in only 3 times since then, for the major stuff. Maybe a total of 2 weeks without the car since then. My attorney doesn't handle lawsuits like this, but she knows someone who does. I guess I'll be calling tomorrow - even though the boss at the dealership assured me on Friday all would be well. I don't see that in writing... I was told by a friend that I shouldn't give in, I should demand a replacement at no addtional cost, and even have them reduce the buy out for my inconvenience. I'd settle for the money I spent for the X-5 that I traded in at this point, and chalk it all up to experience. Anyone know a good attorney in Connecticut that isn't afraid to handle this, and won't demand a hefty sum up front?

#4 ·
lemon laws should apply here for obvious reasons. the car isnt working like they said it would.
if they said a trade will be maid, THEY KNOW THEY SCREWED UP ROYALY! that admits their guilt.
DO NOT pay to get out of this deal. they need to pay YOU! this is why you are doing the right thing by contacting the lawyer.

you can probably get a little extra $$$$$$ for all your troubles, and your stress/"mental anguish", and down time(work,trips,ect.) your lawyer will help w/that. give them hell. tell them if they do not upgrade your car to the newer/working model free of charge(their mess-up, their expense) they your lawyer will be contacting them. add that you dont want to have to do that, but you have been given no other alternative.
i am not a laywer, but i sucks when people try to b.s. their way out of things they are responsible for. [you should NOT have to pay $$$ to get out of their bad car] plus, bmw's are great cars, and you deserve one that works like its supposed to.
it is pretty obvious its a lemon, or else it would never had these problems.
Mark

#5 ·
You've made some excellent points. I picked up the Audi today; it's sweet, handles much better than the BMW, and the nav system and other functions are so much easier to use and work with. With this in mind, I think you're right. Although BMW made the offer again today - $5k to switch, I don't feel I should have to pay more than I agreed to in the beginning. It is their fault, not mine. Adding the aggravation, and so on, they should be paying me! You're right. I think I'm going to hold out for getting my money back - every penny, plus some for the stress, inconveniences, additional insurance cost (2 insured cars now), and more. I thought $5k for a 2 year newer car was good, but re-thinking the offer makes it look bad. I'm to pay extra for their mistakes? I don't think so...

#6 ·
UPDATING... I picked up the Audi Monday. Wednesday, I also picked up a brand new 2004 745Li. I am not allowed to disclose the details, but BMW finally came through. All it took was spending another $75K on an Audi. Now I have 2 brand new cars. Not what I had planned, but there are worse scenarios!

#7 ·
Damn, ur not hurtin when it comes to money. I am glad it all worked out and now u have two of Germany's finest!!

#8 ·
Im sorry, but every car has some problemes, i know when ur buying a BMW you expect for there not to be any problems with it but face the facts bud you were just unlucky to buy a lemon. BMW manufactures thousands of cars a day and without a doubt there will be a problem with at least one of them. I gaurantee you that if you dealt with the right dealership you would be fine. It happens with every car manufactures and trust me on this one.

#12 ·
UPDATE!!!!

Got the '04, after all those months. BMW made the switch. Yeah, right. I'm on a prepaid lease, and the deal was that none of the terms would change, only the car. Period. Even swap, no difference in pricing. In exchange I promised not to talk about the 'issues'. I'm talking because they lied to me.

Now, 5 months later, I find out the truth. BMW tacked on the difference in price between the '02 (purchased in the spring of '03 at a nice discount) and the '04 at the end of my lease as the buyout. AND the dealer demanded $5000 to make the switch. Final cost? I negotiated out the '02 for $63,000. Good deal. Ha ha. I gave them $45,000 up front for the car, so you'd figure my buyout would be about $23,000, right? Or so my salesperson said, since there were a couple of fees along the way, like taxes, registration, etc. WRONG. It's now $51,000. Plus the extra $5,000. Plus the $45,000 I've already given them. Final cost of the vehicle is $101,000 for a car I agreed to pay $63,000 for. A bit steep on the interest?

I'm trying to find an attorney who will take BMW on. I'm more than mad... If anyone knows a good attorney in CT who isn't afraid of BMW, let me know!!!!

#16 ·
Your car must have been a "Monday" or a "Friday" car.

Im sorry, but every car has some problemes, i know when ur buying a BMW you expect for there not to be any problems with it but face the facts bud you were just unlucky to buy a lemon. BMW manufactures thousands of cars a day and without a doubt there will be a problem with at least one of them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.