2002 745 Li Help - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 09:39 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
epr7339 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I have a 2002 745 LI it has 35K on it..The other day I went to the drive inn movies here in town. The car ran fine all day and when I pulled in the space I was parking in I turned off the car and a message came up it read "Engine Malfunction/Reduced engine power." I then restarted the car and it started but when I pushed on the gas I got nothing the rpms did not move. I then shut the car off and restarted same thing! Then the car just stalled and when I hit the start button the car just kept turning over but no start. After figureing out how to get the car into neutral I was able to get the car pushed out of the way so the tow truck on its way could hook up the car. I let the car sit for about 10 minnutes and noticed that the message had turned off and was replaced by "Service Engine Soon" The car then started and I was able to just drive it to the dealer and leave it there for them to look at when they re opened. Also 2 days earyler A message poped up that read "Drive Control/Drive Motertly" and "Parking brake falt" when I shut the car off..I only had to remove the key and restart for those messages to go away. Can anyone tell me what the message "Engine Malfuntion/Reduced engine power." is linked to and what would make this light come on? The car is at the dealer now but they will not have time to look at it untill monday. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 06:27 PM

Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
Dealer is the best place for the car. Only they have the equipment to service that vehicle. There were a lot of firmware problems with the 02 7 series. With any luck it will just be a matter of programming/encoding the vehicle and not something more serious.
Good Luck,
DT

DT

#3 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 11:07 PM
5th Gear Member

BMWLotAttendant is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to BMWLotAttendant Send a message via MSN to BMWLotAttendant
Damn software!
#4 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 05:01 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
The dealer looked at it today...They told me that when they hooked the car to the computer it said nothing was wrong with the car..But the car did the same thing to them as it did for me..It started for them one time and then it did not start for them..The service manager is going to take it home with him tonight to see how it runs for him. What I dont understand is why when they hooked it to their computer it said nothing was wrong. The last I left the car the engine light on the dash was on and a message of Service engine soon was on.. I would think if that light was on there would be some kind of error their computer could get from the car. I dont know we will see. ghead
#5 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 01:10 AM
5th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to BMWLotAttendant Send a message via MSN to BMWLotAttendant
Well, see these things happen....When cars get to the dealership...they all of a sudden get better.

Its like taking a kid to the doctor. When the doctor asks him how he's feeling...the kids going to say great, because he doesn't want shots or medicine.

I hope things work out for ya. Most of our customers traded in for a newer (04) 745Li because most of these kinda issues are worked out.
#6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 02:05 PM
n00b

STEP child is an unknown quantity at this point
the DME (engine computer) needs updates sometimes. if there is an outdated software problem you will have driveablitly problems but no faults will be stored to help figure out whats wrong.
#7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 10:56 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
So I got the car back. It drove fine on the way home. The next day I took the car to work and it was fine on the ride in. On the ride home I started gettting the "Engine malfuntion reduced engine power" message but I did not notice a change in engine power. With the light on I stopped by the dealer so they could see it was on. They took the car in and told me that whatever code came back had something to do with a "controller"? He also told me that the controller that was comeing up with the error or whatever was the controller that controlls the other controllers. Ugh I don't know. Anyway they ordered the new controller so we will see.
#8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2005, 07:56 PM
5th Gear Member

I'm telling you....the 2002 745s are bugged...I'd be annoyed at this by now....you must have some patience...

Good luck!
#9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2005, 05:06 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Well I have had the car back since they replaced that part. And so far no problems. Anyway I am thinking about trading it in for an A8, Acura RL, Or an MB..Sorry guys but you have BMW to thank for that and the poor work they did on there 2002 745's!
#10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2005, 01:36 AM
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by epr7339@May 21 2005, 04:06 PM
Well I have had the car back since they replaced that part. And so far no problems. Anyway I am thinking about trading it in for an A8, Acura RL, Or an MB..Sorry guys but you have BMW to thank for that and the poor work they did on there 2002 745's!
[snapback]346730[/snapback]
How can you do that?!?

If you go from a 745Li to an Acura....that would be a down grade. n

I'll give you that the Audi A8 is nice, and the MB are ok, depends on how much you spend and which class you get.

But from this one bad experience you are saying that BMW luxury sedans are bad. I don't think so, you just need to find the right one for you. And obviously this one wasn't it.

IMHO, I would stick with BMW, not all 745Li customers experience what you've gone through.

I'm sorry to see this happen to you....and hope it doesn't ruin BMWs reputation for you.

Best of luck to you in your search for a better luxury sedan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper