BMW Werkz banner

2001 740i Sport "check engine soon"

6K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  AlpineSixAndSeven 
#1 ·
Hello,

I am a brand new member.... I spent the last 6 months looking for a low mileage 2001 740i sport for my wife. I finally found one in New Jersey with 40,000 miles on it. I flew up to NJ and checked it out and drove it 1600 miles home to Houston, Texas. It drove like a dream.... As this is my first BMW, I was really impressed with the car! --- right up to the point where it died at a red light 30 miles from my house. When I cranked it up again, the "service engine soon" light came on. I managed to get it home with it only dying once during the last 30 miles. When I got it home, I tried to start it in the driveway. It would crank just fine, but then shut off after 3-5 seconds.

I suspect a sensor has gone bad, (O2, MAF?) but as I am a BRAND new BMW owner, I was hoping to get some expert opinions here. I really don't want to take it to the dealer, but my wife wants the car back soon.

Any help, Gentlemen?

Chris

#2 ·
buying a 98 740i

Hi all

Since I decided to get a BMW so the search is on, I am now checking a 98 740i with 125k on it, it drives fine I mean good the acceleration is good not flying or something like that , do you guys have any recommendations, things to check on that model , thinks to be aware of, common problems, the only thing that I did not like was the wind sound when the inner part of the roof was open (the glass was closed) but it seemed like there was a part of a window open but when I closed the inner sliding roof it reduced the sound, also the engine did not feel smooth as I expected, how about the repairs cost that I should expect is it going to be a painful frequent visits to the shop for a car with that miles on it, also I am getting it for 6500 from a dealer is this a good price it is 2000 less than the private party price and 5000$ less than a dealer price or that is the proper price for those cars now,opinions guys, Thanks.

#4 ·
the Noise your hearing can be fixed with a new gasket fot the moon roof;) cheap and easy fix...

Too the OP it sounds like your MAF sensor died get the codes read it can tell us more... but since it has been like a month i hope you got her fixed....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.