2000 Z3-2.3l How To Replace Spark Plugs - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2005, 11:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
mlschlot is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm attempting to replace the spark plugs in my 2000 model year Z3, 2.3L 6 cylinder engine. The Bentley manual instructs me to remove the trim shield on top of the engine to expose the 6 coils mounted on top of each spark plug. When I remove the trim shield on my engine, I expose the the fuel injectors, plastic intake plenum, injector harnesses, and brass fuel lines. Where did they put the plugs on this beast, and how do I get to them?
mlschlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2005, 12:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Hootie361 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Hootie361
Check the trunk.

No, I'm just kidding. Does your engine have a two-piece cover? And are you sure you're not looking at the coils as opposed to the fuel injectors? Facing the engine compartment from the front bumper, my coils are under the left cover... but this is an M52TU engine.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
My left cover is the valve cover. Moving right, next is the trim strip, which exposes the injectors. Then, I have the intake plenum. I'm wondering if the plugs are somehow mounted underneath all of this stuff.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
legal7s is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to legal7s
There are only two covers on the top of the engine. You took off the injector cover. Remove the two small caps in the other cover and remove the two nuts this will give you access to the Coils.
legal7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 10:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
bryan1970 is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah Legal is right. i think you took the injector cover off. the coil cover looks like you valve cover but isn't there are 2 caps almost inline with the oil cap, which also has to come off for the coil cover to come off. under the caps there are a 10mm nut under each. take those out and the oil cap then the coil cover should come off. then for the coils there will be either 2 10mm bolts for each coil which need to be taken out if they are present, there are also braided ground strpas that attach to a few of the coil bolts make sure they get back on where they came from. or if the engine is newer you just pull the locks up on the connectors for the coils then just pull the coils out. then when your putting the plugs back in i belive that the torque spec on the plugs is 32 Nm. which is roughly 22 ft-lbs. then just revers the process you did to take it all apart to put it all back together
bryan1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 09:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Thanks everyone. I had figured it out after posting. The left trim cover looked so much like a normal valve cover, I never bothered to look at it more closely. It seals so tightly around the oil filler opening, I honestly thought taking the cover off would only expose the cam shafts. Duhh!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper