2000 740IL cellphone swap from analog to digital.. - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 06:39 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
sizemoremk is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hello guys!

I am asking on behalf of a friend that has moved into the area, and he cannot get service with his BMW phone that came with the vehicle.

He has been told it is analog, and when he went to the beamer dealership, he was told that it would cost him $1,500 to get it swapped over to a digital phone.

What is the deal with this? Is it the phone itself, or is the "in-car phone system" not compatable with any newer BMW phones; thus requiring the "in car equipment" to be upgraded?

I see that the phones themselves can be found on Ebay, but I am not sure if it is just the phone, or if it is the entire system.

Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-09-2004, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
Im not sure exactly what your friends goal is if it is to upgrade the phone to digital then there is a workaround kit which is installed in the vehicle which involves separating a connector and rearranging pins. This allows for the digital phones. If his goal is to get his current phone working then the phones are no longer supported and this is most likely why the dealer is pushing to install a newer upgraded digital phone which is still available. To get his current phone working then he would have to have it diagnosed and try to find a used part to fix it possibly on ebay or something

DT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper