2 problems, Oil on manifold, check engine light - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 10:25 AM
2nd Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BigT's93 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
2 problems, Oil on manifold, check engine light

Are these two problems related?
First: I see smoke billowing up from the passenger side of motor close to fire wall from the manifold. About as much smoke as 2 smoldering cigars. I took all the motor dress up covers off and still could not tell exactly where the oil is coming from. Valve cover gasket? Any ideas? Is it a major ordeal to fix?
I have access to a mechanic only on weekends.
Second: check engine light came on after she almost stalled coming to red light. After a while it went out, but the light comes and goes as the stalling comes and goes over the past few days. When I'm at cruising speed it runs great. I don't know if this issue is stemming form the bad gas I put in her a few weeks ago. The old girl is very cold natured and has never ideled smoothly until warmed up.
I found a shop with an OBD I code reader. None of the 6 or so paleces I called in by my area have the OBD 1 all have the OBDII. Crazy. I'll post codes as soon as I can get some time off to get it done.
Check engine light started before leak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 10:59 AM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
On the oil leak, the valve cover gasket would be my first look.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#3 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 01:03 PM
Help from over the pond

marti5 is on a distinguished road
Deffo valve cover gasket, done loads of them.

VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
#4 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 04:37 PM
2nd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
THANKS, If I mess it up I'll take a day off and call my mechanic pal over. No codes as yet,, illness in family,, will ya'll be able to help w/codes as I have no book yet?
#5 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 06:21 PM
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
yep post them up!

1991 Ford Taurs SHO 5 Speed White on Tan
1996 Chevy Lumina LTZ Rep 3.4L
1992 318i Coupe parts car
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
#6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 02:13 PM
Help from over the pond

^ 2nd that.

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
#7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 03:08 PM
2nd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks!! Please be patient, my dad is having some health issues now and as you know family first.. I quick thought though..the rough idle and C.E.L. will come and go. It's fine for 3-4 days then blammo I come up to a light and she hiccups and idles rough. Accelerates good and holds speed good. I'll shoot for early next week for codes...thanks again.
#8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 03:23 AM
Help from over the pond

Could be; o2 sensor, pcv valve, HT leads or a bad plug?

#9 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 10:25 AM
2nd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
I never realized how deep in the sticks I live until this morning. I took my 93 740il to the most established joint in my little town of Olive Branch, MS ( just south of Memphis a bigger town). The technician told me they have an OBD I code reader. "bubba" came back 1/2 hour later and told me in a very southern draw accent " you gotta have sum spayshul " b m dubwa" plug or sumptn to read dem codes a 6 or 9 prong thingy, but she's gotta a miss in er fur sure". NO SHITE SHERLOCK!!! A MISS IN HER???!!! I guess I will have to spend $120 at the Roadshow BMW dealership in Memphis and leave it overnight so they can test drive it and tell me I need $ 1500 worth of work done. figures....
#10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 05:25 PM
2nd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
codes coming next week? "again"

well the sun just shone on the old pigs butt!!! I have a young lady that works here who just happens to have a boyfriend that is a certified BMW technician. He is bringing his portable diagnostic equipment to my car early next week and i will give him $40 and he will read the codes. got all pissed off for nothing. so Marti5, witeshark and AlpineSixandSeven, I will post the codes as soon as skippy gets here next week thanks for being patient.
#11 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 10:17 PM
1st Gear Member

spfdfanatic is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT's93 View Post
well the sun just shone on the old pigs butt!!! I have a young lady that works here who just happens to have a boyfriend that is a certified BMW technician. He is bringing his portable diagnostic equipment to my car early next week and i will give him $40 and he will read the codes. got all pissed off for nothing. so Marti5, witeshark and AlpineSixandSeven, I will post the codes as soon as skippy gets here next week thanks for being patient.

Take it to an autozone, they will check it for free!
#12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 11:05 AM
2nd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Tried that, none of the 6 A-Zones I called have any OBD I code reader, only OBD II.
I now have to take it to Roadwhow in Memphis as bimmer tech does not have portable OBDI reader. In the meantime the check engine light went back out and she runs great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper