1997 740il Won't Start - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2005, 12:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
mgblizzie is an unknown quantity at this point
ghead
Just purchased a 1997 740iL in great condition and it has 116,000 miles. After owning it for less than a year it has "FREQUENT" not starting issues that started in November of last year. The BMW dealer has had it in the shop 4 times, this latest has been 8 business days and can not find out what is wrong. It works fine and then when I go to start it all I hear is a "click". The battery is NEW (3 months old), and it has been replaced in case it was defective according to BMW. Has anyone had this problem? They have checked out the alternator, starter, and ran every test possible........... I'm ready to dump it.

HELP, Liz
mgblizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2005, 06:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
epkermitt is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a similar problem. I have a 1997 840ci and I have gone through batteries (2 each time). They tell me I don't drive it enough! Only 25,000 miles in 8 years. If I leave the car for 3 days it does not turn over when I get in on the 4th day. I am sure it is electrical. I am going to take it next week to someone who just does electrical probs. No more dealer service!!
epkermitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 02:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
///Matt is an unknown quantity at this point
I've had a similar problem.... It may be linked to your central alarm system. I had this problem in my 97 540, and my former 97 740il. The 540 was the last to have this problem....BMW replaced the battery and alarm system, the battery was done for free the alarm was about 300.
///Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 01:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Mr E23 NZ is an unknown quantity at this point
I have had very similar problems with a 84 E23 735, and I know exactly the "click" you mean heh

I have a few semi solutions,

1. I bought a jumpstart box, its quite small, cost NZ$40 (bout US$15) and gets 10 + jumps out of a charge

2. Give the car a quick rev just before you turn it off, this gives the battery a quick charge

3. If it is an auto, push the Gear knob up and try start it, or down and try start it, sometimes the stick doesnt sit in park right, so the car wont let it start

GOOD LUCK
Mr E23 NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 01:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
mgblizzie is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, the BMW Service dept. still can't find out what is doing this. They "CLAIM" they have checked everything!!!!! IS a JUMPBOX safe to carry in the car????? Pretty pathetic if I have to carry one in a BMW! I live in the desert where the summers get pretty darn hot here.

How can they NOT find this problem???? Driving me nuts!!!! Three weeks now in the shop!!!!

ghead
mgblizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 02:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
BMWTech is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by mgblizzie@Feb 2 2005, 10:51 AM
ghead
Just purchased a 1997 740iL in great condition and it has 116,000 miles. After owning it for less than a year it has "FREQUENT" not starting issues that started in November of last year. The BMW dealer has had it in the shop 4 times, this latest has been 8 business days and can not find out what is wrong. It works fine and then when I go to start it all I hear is a "click". The battery is NEW (3 months old), and it has been replaced in case it was defective according to BMW. Has anyone had this problem? They have checked out the alternator, starter, and ran every test possible........... I'm ready to dump it.

HELP, Liz

[snapback]284494[/snapback]
This is just a wild guess from a car I worked on similar to yours in my shop. Do you by any chance have a CPT 7000 startac phone in the car. If so, remove it for a while and see if your starting problems go away. I had a car that had a defective phone that drawed from the battery when the phone was plugged in and sat overnight. Just give it a try if this applies to you.
BMWTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 09:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
flip2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile

ghead I have the same problem with my '95 740il, 63,500 miles on it. I only drive it in the summer here in IL. Last year I garaged it in Oct. and tried to start it in Nov. and got the exact "click" sound that you mentioned. I use a BMW trickle charger and it's light say's the battery is fully charge and so, does the battery check light. I went ahead and bought a brand new battery at the dealer, installed and trickle charged it overnight last Sunday, started the car yesterday, same "click" sound. The car just won't start. I tested the starter by the screwdriver method and it turned, so that tells us the starter is okay.
Anyone who's got a solution to this headache would be our "hero" here. It's almost spring and I'd like to take the car out on good sunny days!
flip2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 04:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
mickerbimmer is an unknown quantity at this point
Check the ignition switch. I had a problem on a 3 series and now think I have a problem in my 740il. you'd be surprised
mickerbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper