BMW Werkz banner

1995 740il Power Steering Problem

3K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  leejgray 
#1 ·
I have a 1995 740iL Bmw E38 model.
I am having trouble with my power steering.

I have checked my belts... They seem plenty tight, and they are in excellent condition.

The fluid level is good. The fluid is clean.

When it turn to the right from center, it turns like it should.
When i turn left from center I am having pretty serious resistance.
The resistance is uniform 2X+ harder to steer to the left only.
Center to right is fine.

There is a slight sound when i turn either way from a stand still. Like a rubbery rubbing of something.

Results are same either hot or cold.

If you can help, thanks in advance.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5+ Hours Later

Hi... After driving my 740iL for 4+ hours i thought i was surley going to have to purchase a new power steering pump or some expensive part to fix my ailing ride.
Turning to the left was a real pain and it was affecting everything in cluding my attitude toward the car. So get this... I was braking very hard and turning to the left coming up on a Harpin Left, when I hit a small pothole at about 45 MPH coming down from 70+ MPH. There was a very large jolt and my steering jerked to the left. There was a loud POP... It seems I had a rock jammed in the spring or something like that. The hard breaking and turning to the left combined with hitting the pothole broke what ever was caught in there free! MY BMW is steering perfectly now>>> Who would have thought it was a peice of road debree or rock jammed up in the front end..... Happy ending for me... MAybe it's happening to yours, hope this helps.

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.