BMW Werkz banner

1995 740il engine replacement/recall

5K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Gympie 
#1 ·
Hi.

Does anyone know if the 1995 740il model was subject to the engine replacement recall?

I am looking to buy a 1995 740il, and just curious what advice or insite you guys can share with me - both good and bad....

Thanks.

#2 ·
Only recall that I have come across is this..

Bayerische Motoren Werke

Models: BMW 740i Years: 1995-1997
BMW 740iL Years: 1995-1997
BMW 750iL Years: 1995-1997

Number Involved: 29,000 Dates of Manufacture: September 1994 - August 1996 NHTSA Recall No.: 97V140 Vehicle Description: Passenger vehicles. Description of Defect: Road grit and gravel associated with winter road conditions can penetrate the rubber of the lower front spring mounts and accumulate in the mounts, causing notches or pits to develop. These notches can develop cracks, resulting in breakage of a bottom coil of the spring. Consequence of Defect: The vehicle's ride height could be affected, causing noise while the vehicle is driven. The vehicle's dynamic stability can be affected, reducing the driver's ability to maintain control of the vehicle. Corrective Action: Dealers will replace both front springs and lower spring mounts. Owner Notification: Owner notification is expected to begin by the end of October 1997. Note: Owners who take their vehicles to an authorized dealer on an agreed upon service date and do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact BMW at 1-800-831-1117.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Advice on the ride?? How many miles, asking price, condition,..etc.

#3 ·
You have to get the engine code off the engine block. The dealer will pull a dcs to see if it has ever been done. They will check the block to verify.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.