1991 bmw 850 ci general module help needed - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2011, 09:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
johanns850 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation 1991 bmw 850 ci general module help needed

hello all i am the new proud owner of a 1991 bmw 850 ci, forest green with 135k miles.

My mechinic hates bmw and is pressuring me to sell the car, i believe he has a buyer for it and wants to make some money.

I am in desperate need to repair the general module 2 as i dont have the 300.00 for the gm2 and another 200.00 us. to get it programed.

I replaced all the caps in the gm2 with omni directional caps of proper size, and wattage. the caps are not polorized.

I plugged up the gm2 and without the key being in all of the 4 windows rolled down and would not go up or down at all.

my dad passed recently from alhizhimers and i was forced to sell all of my stuff, 1983 944, 1970 monte carlo, 1983 eldorado 30k miles with build sheet, 1983 rivera, and my baby a 1983 buick regal limited with a 500 ci. bb chevy blueprinted with all the bells and whistles.

i did this to keep my father home.

needless to say my wife gave me the money to get this car as a gift since i had to sell the other ones because i really love the car and want to keep her at all costs.

i am asking for any knowledge as to what is going on with the gm2, thanks in advance for your help. johann sr.
johanns850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2011, 09:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Captain... Savvy ?

Car: BMW E38 728i 1996 Met Black
Photos:
Jack Dabsy will become famous soon enough
Garage
Your mech hates BMW because he knows NOT what he does !!

Just try disconnecting the battery for quite a while (Maybe 1 hour or so)...
Re-connect and let the car re-learn stuff !!
This is only an initial idea before we get down to the business-end of things...

Eso es todo!
Please press the "REP" button if you are happy with your response/answer...

Please JOIN, or just have a look... Its Totally FREE...
BMW Part Market

BMW Online Manuals (TIS)

New Member ?
Jack Dabsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
hello and thanks for the help.

unhooked the batteries waited an hour still nuthing. pulled the gm2 and found out they gave me polarized caps, resoldered them properly, they still looked good but they might have burnt up. plugged it back up, alarm went off and the door locks locked one time, nuthing after that. if i cycle the ignition on and off and hold the window switch i can inch the widows down and up with each turn of the key a little here and a little there.

we gave a little power to the relay wire that connects to the gm2 and the drivers side window went down strong. checked the relays and they click when grounded.

dont know where to go from here.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Rewired the caps in the gm2 with new ones plugged it up alarm goes off all windows rolled down automatically ybut wont go up. Is this a general module problem or something else?
Old 09-27-2011, 01:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Captain... Savvy ?

Car: BMW E38 728i 1996 Met Black
Photos:
Jack Dabsy will become famous soon enough
Garage
Could be the EWS but how you explained about the windows, it seems like it's stuck on "Full-Open" (Key-Fob option) !!

Eso es todo!
Please press the "REP" button if you are happy with your response/answer...

Please JOIN, or just have a look... Its Totally FREE...
BMW Part Market

BMW Online Manuals (TIS)

New Member ?
Jack Dabsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper