BMW Werkz banner

1990 BMW 735il parking lights and tail lights wont work

5K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  beamers4life 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I have a 1990 BMW 735il E32 which has proved to be a truly wonderful car for me which can be expected of a bmw(240,000 miles and stil running great). I did some work on it last year to get it up and running again, changed the starter(what a pain),new plugs,new front macpherson shock inserts, replaced both front brake calipers, etc. this past summer i unfortunately wrecked it. Now that ive got the front end back on it i am experiencing a slight problem. My tail lights dont work(already checked bulbs and fuses) along with my yellow parking lights beside the low beams. Does anybody know what this could be. I have a hunch that its the relay module in the fusebox but i could be wrong. Also my blinkers blink fast which usually means that a bulb is out but all four signals blink fast. However the hazard flashers blink at a normal pace.
Any help would be very much appreciated
Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
So you have checked all the fuses...including the ones under the rear seat?. If so it may be a relay as you say, which one Im not sure....maybe you can do a goole search for its location...it may be the LKM and mustard coloured relay in the front fuse box (engine bay) but this normally applies to the headlights.

#3 ·
problems fixed but yet another problem unveiled

Well Folks i just fixed the problem in one way,
The problem with the blinkers was that i only had a single contact bulb in the parking lights instead of a double contact which is needed. Such an easy mistake a what a fool i feel like. After doing that i replaced the mustard colored relay in the front fuse box( great advice marti5) which cleared up the parking light-tail light issue. However a new problem has arisen in this dilemma. now my instrument cluster wont light up the digital readings read fine and so do the abs lights etc. just the rpm and the speedometer and the fuel guage are not illuminated which makes night driving an issue. Also another miniscule problem is that my srs light stays on. I know nothing is wrong with it. The only reason why it is staying on is because i unplugged one of the sensors above the fenders.
any thoughts
Thanks

#5 ·
Ball joints

Well folks i got all of my wiring issues sorted out which consisted of checking all of the relays about six times and cleaning some grounds and replacing fuses and pulling the dash about three times with the wheel still on. Heres some advice folks when you pull the dash to replace a bulb go ahead and replace them all in the dash. I mean all of them not just the ones on one circuit. Replace ALL of them because as soon as you replace some and the hook it back up others blow instead. its like a game of the weakest bulb blows. So thinking i was ready i naturally took the car for inspection at the local tire place. They came back and said that i needed to replace both lower ball joints. They said that the parts would cost me 500 alone which is what my bmw dealer said as well. Well i got online and looked and found a website called autohausaz.com which is a great website for beamer oem parts. I found them on there for 50 bucks a piece with free shipping for the control arm ball joint and bushing. Now i just need to install them when they come in. Do any of you know of a site where i can find a step by step instruction for replacing these things. I heard these things are a real pain but i need to just go ahead suck ity up and fix them. It can be expected that they would be bad in a car with 240,000 miles on it.
Thanks all

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.