1989 Bmw 750il - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2005, 10:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
crazyboutbimmers4 is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm looking to buy an 89 750il, it has 172000 miles, the body and interior are in good condition, the normal wear and tear for its age. The car does need a new fuel pump, but since it has 2, i'll just replace both. It also has a crack in the windshield so i may need a new windshield but other than those two things it doesnt have any other problems that i know of. The guy is asking 3000 for it but i'm going to try and get it for a lil cheaper. If any one could, i would like info/tips on the car and any input on the price. Thanks!
crazyboutbimmers4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2005, 04:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car:
Photos:
Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
Hi,
172k miles is a bit high. Keep in mind that the 750's can be very expensive to maintain. $3000 isnt a bad price if the outside is in decent condition. Keep in mind the windshield isnt gonna be cheap. If the moulding that goes around the windshield can be re-used that will save you quite a bit of $. If the moulding and the windshield must both be replaced then its most likely gonna be over $600 (aftermarket) $1000 (dealer)

If you can do some of the mechanical work yourself then that will help a lot but the v12's are definitely more difficult to work on. You mentioned it needs fuel pumps, I assume you already have a price on those? if you are buying the vehicle in a non-running condition and the seller isnt supplying a smog certificate then I would be very very leary. The intake blocks on that engine commonly leak which is an expensive repair along with other things such as failed pcv valves etc so if its not running then once you do get it running you may find that you have to sink additional $$$ into the car to get it smogged (if your state has smog laws of course)

Anyway, not trying to scare you away but just letting you know some of the things to consider and watch for.
Best of luck.

DT

P.S here is a link to a couple sites which may help you.....

e32 site with repair writups

Online parts catalog with part #s and prices

Dirty_Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper