1985 745i Turbo (German Import) - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper General Chat related to models that do not fit into particular categories above. Please try to put your discussion in more appropriate sections. This section does cover the 1 Series, MINI Cooper and 8-Series vehicles: BMW 830i, BMW 840Ci, BMW 850i, BMW 850Ci, BMW 850CSi, M8, Alpina B12, BMW CS Concept and others.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 06:14 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
TiffanyC.91 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Cool 1985 745i Turbo (German Import)

Hello, I have a 1985 745i Turbo that is completely in German, as far as I know EVERYTHING on this car is original they don't even make these tires anymore.

I want to know how rare this car is & how much it's worth to a collector...
I've been offered $7,000 just for the seats!!
& I've also been offered $30,000 for the entire car!!

I want to get what it's worth, but I can't find what it's worth. Please HELP!!!
HIT ME UP!!!

Anything you can tell me would be EXTREMELY helpful!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 03:22 AM
4DoorWhore

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lord Vader is on a distinguished road
Well I've never heard of the 745i coming with a Turbo from the factory, but im not all that versed in the 7 Series. $30,000 is definitley a very large sum for a vehicle of that age. I suspect that if someone is willing to spend that much money on it then they must know it has a lot of value.

However, pictures will definitley help. As now we are all curious to see this amazing ride!

ProjectTechnik.com - Alberta based BMW Community
See My car on Project Technik HERE!

And Follow Me on Instagram @E36M52

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club! Paint Code #343

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
#3 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 05:38 AM
n00b

bmwe30obsession is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffanyC.91 View Post
Hello, I have a 1985 745i Turbo that is completely in German, as far as I know EVERYTHING on this car is original they don't even make these tires anymore.

I want to know how rare this car is & how much it's worth to a collector...
I've been offered $7,000 just for the seats!!
& I've also been offered $30,000 for the entire car!!

I want to get what it's worth, but I can't find what it's worth. Please HELP!!!
HIT ME UP!!!

Anything you can tell me would be EXTREMELY helpful!!!
Hi TiffanyC... Saw this post linked to another site, and I figured I'd help you out a little. I'm a newb to this forum though so bear with me

It sounds like what you have is the Original 745i. The new 745is come With a 8 cylinder engine from the Factory, but the E23 745i had a modified M30 straight six Motor (The same motor that is in the 535i, 635i, and 735i of the same generation) that has lower compression and a Low-Boost K27 turbo. This was the last turbo motor BMW made until the 335i of today. Bmw Called it the 745i because it puts out similar power to a 1980's 4.5 Liter V8. They were only offered In europe and were only imported to the U.S. by a few individuals, so thats why everything on the car pretty much is in german. There are two versions of the motor the M102 (7:1 compression, around 11PSI of boost) and the M106 (8:1 compression, around 5 PSI of boost) . Your car has the M106, which puts out around 250 HP and 280 TQ. They are incredible cars and very rare in the U.S. At the time they were the fastest four door sedan in the world.
They have a very small cult following in the BMW community as many people aren't aware of their existence, But Many of these people scoop up 3-4 of them... My father has owned four, and still owns two. The motors and many of the components on the car were designed by the Motorsport Division, so they are pretty much the closest thing BMW has ever made to an M7.

Pictures would definitely be helpful as to the condition, which greatly would affect the price you'd be able to get. Due to the Rarity, these are one of those cars that are worth what people will pay. Supreme Examples with low miles usually go for $10-20k, while higher mileage examples can be had much cheaper. We purchased an example with 65k miles on it for $10k But that was a few years back. The higher mileage cars we have bought generally go for $1.5k-7K. I think $30k is a little steep unless it was extremely low mileage and in exceptional condition, but, like I said.. Some people are willing to pay a premium.

Most of them Came with water buffalo seats and Real wood accents on the interior, and all of them were 4 speed automatics. They also came with a few other things that didn't show up on your run of the Mill 7 series, such as a self-leveling suspension in the rear designed to compensate for passengers in the back seat (they were sometimes used as limosines and often feature power rear seats, and a fold down center console which has either a refrigerator or radio control+ front passenger seat controls) so that the tires didn't over heat at the incredible speeds they were capable of on the autobahn! Pretty amazing technology for the 1980s. The wheels the car came with were originally equipped with a Metric sized tire that was called the TRX also featured on several other BMWs of the day, I know you can find them floating around sometimes but they are very pricey and inferior to today's offerings. Most people swap them out for another set of BMW rims and run a regular sized tire.

Sorry. it's late here and I hope I covered Everything. If you have any further questions just let me know and I'll try to answer them as best as I can. My brain is packed full of random facts regarding BMW models and we have more than I feel like counting in our family.
#4 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 05:56 AM
n00b

bmwe30obsession is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Vader View Post
Well I've never heard of the 745i coming with a Turbo from the factory, but im not all that versed in the 7 Series. $30,000 is definitley a very large sum for a vehicle of that age. I suspect that if someone is willing to spend that much money on it then they must know it has a lot of value.

However, pictures will definitley help. As now we are all curious to see this amazing ride!
The Original 745i was a turbo from the factory actually, but it was the only factory turbo car I'm aware of prior to the new 335i other than the 2002 turbo. it's just one of those cars that doesn't pop up very often It had the Same turbo as the Porsche 944 turbo. They didn't start using the 745i Name for v8s until the 2000s. It's an M redesigned motor and the later Version (m106) runs insanely low boost (5psi about) so getting more power out of the motor is very easy. Figure about 500 HP @ 15 psi... With Supporting Modifications Some of them have hit nearly 1000hp from high boost (30+psi) which they take very well due to their low compression ratio.

Motors are hard to find but can be had for $600-1500 dollars, and can and have been swapped into anything from the 2002 up... Bullet proof as well... 250k miles is easy, 500k is even decently common. I'm scouting one currently for my E30 to build because so few people know about them, and power is much more easily attained than from most other turbo projects as it's already designed for the boost. It's an amazing motor, especially considering it's a SOHC that can often produce higher numbers than DOHC turboed engines but is a lot less complicated and more period correct for the E30. compatible Manual transmissions are cheap and easy to find as well!

Sorry Kinda excited when one of these pops up because I get to tell people about them..

When I have more time I'll post a couple of links to videos. youtube has some awesome examples of both stock and modified 745is, and other cars (2002s, E30s, e28s) which have been swapped to the M106 or M102 motors.
#5 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 08:47 AM
4DoorWhore

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lord Vader is on a distinguished road
Wow, thats great information! I never knew about that before so im glad i do now. Definitley looking forward to videos.

ProjectTechnik.com - Alberta based BMW Community
See My car on Project Technik HERE!

And Follow Me on Instagram @E36M52

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club! Paint Code #343

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
#6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 09:54 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Vader View Post
There are pictures on my profile or whatever it's called on here. lol. I don't know too much about cars other than gas to go, brake to stop, & check the oil. hahahaha. But in my opinion this car is in fantastic condition for as old as it is!! & that's what I was thinkin about the $30,000 offer but I figured if he's willing to pay that just Maybe there's someone willing to pay more!!
#7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 10:00 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwe30obsession View Post
Hi TiffanyC... Saw this post linked to another site, and I figured I'd help you out a little. I'm a newb to this forum though so bear with me
Pictures would definitely be helpful as to the condition, which greatly would affect the price you'd be able to get. Due to the Rarity, these are one of those cars that are worth what people will pay. Supreme Examples with low miles usually go for $10-20k, while higher mileage examples can be had much cheaper. We purchased an example with 65k miles on it for $10k But that was a few years back. The higher mileage cars we have bought generally go for $1.5k-7K. I think $30k is a little steep unless it was extremely low mileage and in exceptional condition, but, like I said.. Some people are willing to pay a premium.
Sorry Kinda excited when one of these pops up because I get to tell people about them..
1st of all THANK YOU SOOO VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!
I'm new to this site too so don't worry! There are pictures of it on my profile thingy. lol. (i'm having a hard time figurin out how to post the pics with a thread... ''/)
But as far as I can tell the car is in Incredible condition. It's the buffalo leather seats & that stuff is EVERYWHERE!!! the dash, the seats, the doors, console.... there must be 5 buffalo's worth in my car. & we can't find ANY screw ups in the leather ANYWHERE!!
But otherwise it has 174k miles & we haven't replaced the rims so its the original funky sized ones. ha. The back seat has the radio+passanger seat controls & all of it works for the most part. The only thing we know of that doesnt work is the radio won't read cassettes (don't try it starts smoking), the front seat's head rests won't move, & the back driver's side door doesn't lock with the rest but we've heard that's a real easy fix. Otherwise it's fully electric & all the seats & windows still move!!
It even still has the first aid kid & EVERYTHING inside is sealed!! All the tools are in the tiny tool box in the trunk door & there must be some sort of flare thingy in the trunk too (it's in german also so idk what it is). We still have the original (fully German) manual. Only downside is there's no spare, only it's rim in the spare compartment.
& there's only been 3 previous owners:
1) old lady who bought it in Germany then brought it to the states with her
2) she gave it to some dude as payment for workin on her house
3) the dealership we bought it from
4) me & my husband.

PS: i'm glad you get excited about them bc IT WAS EXTREMELY HELPFUL!!!! lol
#8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 10:12 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Talking Pictures!!

WOOT! WOOT!!
I found it out!!!
#9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 03:34 PM
Captain... Savvy ?

Jack Dabsy will become famous soon enough
Garage
Yes, they had to put a blower on it as the engine size at that time could not perform against it's competition... But BMW only learned from this.
It's deffo a Classic !!

Eso es todo!
Please press the "REP" button if you are happy with your response/answer...

Please JOIN, or just have a look... Its Totally FREE...
BMW Part Market

BMW Online Manuals (TIS)

New Member ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper